Thursday, April 24, 2008

Grow your own four-leaf clover.

I saw a kit at Borders yesterday called "grow your own four-leaf clover." It was just the kind of gimmicky thing I love to buy people and give as a chintzy gift, but fortunately for my debit card I didn't see it until after I had checked out.

Thinking literally, it wouldn't work. There'd probably be some dumb seed to plant, and it would never grow into anything. At least, not under my watch. I have only successfully grown a palm tree thus far in my life. And actually, it was full-grown (about 6 inches high) when it was given to me. I just haven't managed to kill it yet because it is content with the rare occasions when I treat it to the dregs of my water bottle.

But that's getting off topic.

Thinking more figuratively, it wouldn't work. Last month was a ridiculously lucky month for me. But I can't seem to grow it back this month.

Last month I won NCAA Sweet Sixteen tix; I had the best business trip ever and came home from it with an iPod nano, Garmin Nuvi GPS for my car and a lovely light-blue jacket; and I hiked Angels' Landing in Zion National Park. The hiking might not sound like luck, but since I didn't have to do anything and relied on my friend and guide to plan the whole thing and keep me safe, it really was rather lucky.

This month I've had some rather unlucky occurrences. It's not too cool when your crush from three years ago suddenly decides to drop in one night when you look frumpy and are giving a personal and revealing presentation.

But the fact that I got to go to my sister's musical five (FIVE) times this month counters all that negativity. So luck, shmuck. I just need to stop being a whiner.

No comments: